Monday, November 12, 2012

Everest Region Hike Day 6


As has been my habit, I rise when the first faint light of dawn illuminates the mountains and go for a walk before breakfast. Everest looks lovely in morning light.

Everest is on the left just peeking over a closer ridge
Thyangboche is the site of an impressive Buddhist monastery. As I walked about, I could hear gongs during the morning prayer service.

After breakfast, we retraced our route of yesterday.
The way we came and the way back
Down the steep slope to the river, across the suspension bridge and up the far side we trek. The ascents this day were only about 1/3 the time and effort as the previous day. It is the last serious uphill effort remaining on this trip.

The trail is dusty—a mix of granite dust and powdered dung. My nose runs continuously. Much of the dust comes from the many yak trains going up and down.
Yak up close
I take my time. I am trying to spot birds and mammals. My guide Pasang and porter Davess have good eyes and point out birds. They know the names of just two; so I make field notes. I will use the Web or a book later to get their names. Pasang spotted several monal pheasants, the national bird of Nepal. He also located a herd of Himalayan Tahr, a type of mountain goat.
Monal pheasant
We reach Namche by 12:30 and wolf down our lunch. After that I head over to the Namche Cyber Cafe. I've been here three times. They let me work on my blog and recharge the notebook's battery as I sip good coffee. When I have my posts ready and pictures edited, I rent some Wifi connect time to post the stories. They have a Canadian flag in the window.

I had several coffees today. I do not care if it inhibits acclamation. We are heading back tomorrow and it's mostly downhill. I may even have a beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment