Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Research and Sightseeing in Ballarat

I took a train from Melbourne into an inland city named Ballarat. The town has two things to attract me: it is one setting for my next historical novel; and, the only person in Australia I know lives there.
Downtown Ballarat is an architectural gem—there is a wealth of buildings from the late 19th century (1868-1888) that line wide streets and boulevards.
The view across from my hotel
On the edge of Ballarat is Sovereign Hill, a recreated Australian gold rush town. Part of my next novel will be set in the gold rush (1851-1858); so, I needed to visit it.

Across the street from Sovereign Hill is the gold mining museum. It includes lithographs from a gold-rush era artist S. T. Gill. His drawings closely match the modern Sovereign Hill; so I believe it is close enough.
Snapshot of Sovereign Hill
This town is populated with re-enactors. Some of them, such as the blacksmith and the wheelwright, are talented artisans and masters of old trades. I watched one fellow build part of a wagon wheel using steam-driven lathes and other tools from the 1860s. Fascinating! 
Part of the wagon wheel factory. In front is the lathe that carves wheel hubs from wood stumps. Behind it is the drill that carved mortise holes in the hub for the spokes. The belts turn the machinery.
My time spent there yielded some great pictures and notes that will add authenticity to my novel.

The next day, Barry Sullivan (who used to live near me), gave up time from his busy schedule to drive me into the “bush.” I wanted to see what the countryside looked like (again to add authenticity to the novel) and I hoped to see kangaroos.

We drove to Grampians National Park to a treed spot beside a creek where Barry had seen kangaroos before. Sure enough, we found a herd of eastern gray kangaroos lounging in the shade. They ignored us, which let me get close enough to get pictures. Driving back to Ballarat, we passed a flock of wild emus grazing in a field. Cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment